from Democracy Is Coming To The USA by Leonard Cohen
The US Needs Better Democracy
If there is one thing that seems apparent (at least to me) from this years presidential election is that America can do better with selecting its presidential candidates. This year with the looming nominations (things could still change) of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, it appears to me we are choosing two candidates that have mastered the fine art of using political position to obtain personal wealth.
True, we have had wealthy candidates and presidents in the past (JFK was actually one of the wealthiest), but they always seem to put some sort of national agenda ahead of their own personal gain. So far, this year seems to be different. On one hand you have a man, who brags about his wealth and uses this situation as a qualification for the highest political office in the land. On the other hand, you have a former Senator and Secretary of State, whose paid speeches would violate many ethics rules if she was still in the Senate or State Department.
So considering all that’s gone down so far, I’m hoping that both major parties circumvent what’s gone down in the primary process and go back to the drawing board in coming up with a presidential candidate…………… It’s not too late, really.
Hope you enjoy this image of a rainbow and the two street performers.
Some Words of Wisdom (maybe?)
The following words of wisdom (and not so astute words of wisdom) come from a variety of sources. Nonetheless, all these selections of words were uttered by various entities with one thing in common; they were all named Donald. Some of these Donalds are real, while others are just the mere creations of writers. As you browse through these quotes, keep in mind how we, as a society, sometimes delegate our most poignant comments to the strange realm of fictional characters.
1. “There are known knowns. There are known unknowns. But there are also unknown unknowns.” by Donald Rumsfeld.
2. “I’m not a schmuck. Even if the world goes to hell in a handbasket, I won’t lose a penny.” by Donald Trump
3. “At my age you sort of fart your way into a role.” by Donald Sutherland
4. “Sometimes your best investments are the ones you don’t make.” by Donald Trump
5. “Death has a tendency to encourage a depressing view of war.” by Donald Rumsfeld
6. “You know the funny thing, I don’t get along with rich people. I get along with the middle class and the poor people better than I get along with the rich people.” by Donald Trump
7. “I don’t care if you think I’m abnormal, strange, weird, crazy, insane, odd & bizarre. Life is too short to be normal….” by Donald Duck
8. “I would not say that the future is necessarily less predictable than the past. I think the past was not predictable when it started.” by Donald Rumsfeld
9. “I advise you don’t mess with me, I know karate, kung fu, judo, tae kwon du, jujitsu and 28 other dangerous words,” by Donald Duck
10. “But no, I love acting, it’s a wonderful job.” by Donald Sutherford
11. “I watch people and wonder how some of them found their way out of the birth canal.” by Donald Duck
12. “I had a kind of meandering little career, and then I was given a chance to play one of the bottom six in The Dirty Dozen.” by Donald Sutherland
13. “Don’t get confused between my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.” by Donald Duck
14. “Oh come off it, MAJOR! You put me right off my fresh fried lobster, do you realize that? I’m now going to go back to my bed, I’m going to put away the best part of a bottle of scotch… And under normal circumstances, you being normally what I would call a very attractive woman, I would have invited you back to share my little bed with me you might possibly have come. But you really put me off. I mean you… You’re what we call a regular army clown.” by Hawkeye Pierce as played by Donald Sutherland from M.A.S.H. the movie
15. “It is unknowable how long that conflict [the war in Iraq] will last. It could last six days, six weeks. I doubt six months.” Donald Rumsfeld in Feb. 2003